fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'winver.h'
Norman Diamond
2006-01-13 07:32:24 UTC
eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4, Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone SDK.

New workspace, new Smartphone project, "Hello World" project. I did not
edit anything in it. I don't recall if I set the target to WCE emulator
(debug) or if it was already that way by default.

eVC++4 SP4 can't even compile its own Hello World project.
C:\Documents and Settings\ndiamond\My Documents\
Embedded Visual Studio Projects\TestSDK\newres.h(32) :
fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'winver.h'.

Here are lines 31 and 32 of newres.h:
#include "winuser.h" // extract from windows header
#include "winver.h"
So the compiler successfully read winver.h but couldn't read winver.h?

Looking in directory
C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Include\Emulator
here are three of the files in alphabetical order:
winuser.h
winuserm.h
winver.h

Notepad can open winver.h just fine so I don't think any of the installers
put funny permissions on that file.

Also the reason I looked in that directory was that eVC++'s Tools -
Options - Directories panel, with Platform SMARTPHONE 2003 and CPU Win32
(WCE emulator) told me to. It looks like the default option there was
impeccable.

Momentarily I had an intuitive hunch that the English language version of
eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4 maybe couldn't cope with being installed on the
Japanese version of Windows XP SP2, but that doesn't explain how the
compiler successfully read winuser.h and only croaked on winver.h.

So what is this thing doing in order to accomplish this failure, and how can
I fix it?
riki
2006-01-21 03:42:44 UTC
Post by Norman Diamond
[...]
thats very weird
Try
Project->Settings->Resources
make sure the 'Ignore standard include paths' is not ticked. then try
adding the path to the file to the 'additional includes' box.

riki

If you can't say something nice, say something surreal.
ThemeChanger for Smartphone : http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~gambit/
AbstractStart for Smartphone :
http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~gambit/AbstractStart/
Latest Betas have WM5 layout and speed dial support
Norman Diamond
2006-01-23 01:57:24 UTC
Post by riki
Post by Norman Diamond
eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4, Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone SDK.
New workspace, new Smartphone project, "Hello World" project. I did not
edit anything in it. I don't recall if I set the target to WCE emulator
(debug) or if it was already that way by default.
It was that way by default. Reproduced today with a new project.
Post by riki
Post by Norman Diamond
[...]
100% reproducibly weird, so far. How does everyone else avoid it?
Post by riki
Try
Project->Settings->Resources
make sure the 'Ignore standard include paths' is not ticked.
Yup, that is not ticked. So I didn't touch it.
Post by riki
then try adding the path to the file to the 'additional includes' box.
"the" path? Try adding what path? The path that is already there by
default? The path which it set for itself to enable itself to read file
winuser.h?
Post by riki
If you can't say something nice, say something surreal.
OK, here goes.
eMbedded Visual C++ 4 SP4.
Norman Diamond
2006-01-23 04:00:24 UTC
Seems it was documented and I misunderstood the documentation.
One of the menu bars defaults to this:
TestSDK STANDARDSDK_420 Win32 (WCE emulator) Debug SMARTPHONE 2003 Emulator
I have to change STANDARDSDK_420 to SMARTPHONE 2003.
This change has side effects, changing other items, so I have to change
other items back to their defaults.
Then it compiles.

The SDK's file readme.htm can be interpreted as documenting it, but I think
it's not quite obvious.
For the active WCE Configuration choose Smartphone 2003 and Win32 (WCE
emulator) Release. For the Device drop-down choose Smartphone 2003
Emulator to send the application to the emulator.
I thought the second sentence was explaining part of the first sentence.
But no, there are two separate items which both have to be set to say
Smartphone 2003.